My new go-to weeknight dinner – Spicy Chipotle Honey Salmon Bowls. Smoky, slightly spicy, chipotle roasted salmon, with cilantro vinaigrette, served over bowls of steamed rice with a salted feta and avocado salad…plus some creamy chipotle mayo too. These colorful and fresh salmon bowls might seem involved, but they’re simple to make and full of so much flavor.
I’ve mentioned this before, but I can often go through phases of loving certain styles of food. Right now, I’m loving any dish served bowl style. Ideally with rice, but greens are great too!
Either way, I have so many fresh spring “bowls” lined up for you that I can’t wait to share! But this spicy salmon is my favorite. It really does have everything good piled into one bowl. Steamed rice, chipotle roasted salmon, a salty and creamy avocado feta salad, plus some chipotle mayo to really round out the bowl.
The details are simple
Which you might not guess by looking at the ingredient list. I promise the recipe just looks long, but it’s really not hard at all.
Start out with the salmon. I love to roast the salmon in the oven with a mix of chipotle in adobo, oil, honey, and a touch of tamari (or soy sauce). The honey really helps balance out the heat and the tamari adds a salty umami flavor. This may seem odd, but trust me, it’s so delish.
Throw everything into the oven to roast. The entire cooking process is honestly less than 10 minutes, it’s so fast! And just like with my salmon tacos, I love to give everything a little crispiness right before I pull the pan out of the oven. So for the last minute of cooking, I switch the oven to broil. I then let everything get a nice crispiness around the edges. Be sure to watch carefully though!
If you’re not a fan of salmon, or just want to switch things up, I think a buttery fillet of cod would be delicious too. Or even just some shrimp!
While the salmon cooks, I make the simplest cilantro vinegaratte and then an avocado salad/salsa situation.
For the vinegaratte, there are just a few simple ingredients. But I do think it’s important to make. It really adds a nice sauciness to the bowl. Just a little oil, vinegar, honey, and cilantro are all you need!
And the salad. This might just be my favorite layer in this bowl. Avocado, cucumber, so much cilantro, so much feta cheese, a serrano pepper (you can use a jalapeño too), cumin, a little oil, and a lemon-lime mix.
I love mixing the lemon and lime for a mix of citrus, it’s subtle but unexpected.
Steam the rice. Of course, quinoa, brown rice, or really any other grain would work too. Then layer everything in… salmon, salad, drizzle over the vinegarette, and dollop with lots of chipotle mayo.
So much happening, but really it comes together quickly since we’re just repeating ingredients throughout.
Totally delicious and this will be great for the warmer spring and summer days ahead.
Looking for other salmon recipes? Here are a few…
Lastly, if you make these Spicy Chipotle Honey Salmon Bowls, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Spicy Chipotle Honey Salmon Bowls
Calories Per Serving: 464 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 4 (4-6 ounce) salmon filets, cut into bite-size chunks
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped chipotle in adobo
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 cups cooked rice
Avocado Feta Salad
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450° F. 2. On a baking sheet, toss the salmon pieces with 3 tablespoons olive oil, chipotle in adobo, 2 tablespoons honey, tamari (or soy sauce), and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer. Roast 10-15 minutes or until the salmon is cooked to your liking. During the last minute, switch the oven to broil and broil until lightly charred. Set the salmon aside.3. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons honey, and the apple cider vinegar. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Set the sauce aside for serving.4. To make the salad. Combine the avocado, cucumbers, serrano pepper, cilantro, cumin, and feta in a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, lime and/or lemon juice, and season with salt. 5. For the mayo, combine all ingredients in a bowl. 6. Spoon the salmon over the bowls of rice. Top with the avocado salad and drizzle the cilantro lime sauce over everyting. Add a dollop of spicy mayo. Enjoy!