This Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing is anything but boring. Sweet potatoes and chickpeas tossed with a mix of spices, then roasted until lightly charred, crispy, and delicious. Everything is tossed together with a creamy, honey mustard dressing, kale, herbs, and avocado. This salad is easy to throw together, colorful, healthy, and filling. Enjoy for dinner and save the leftovers for lunch. It’s the perfect vibrant salad that’s hearty enough to call a real meal.
Do you know what I’ve realized? I find each season to be incredibly special and exciting. I look forward to them all. And while fall is my favorite, spring can get me equally excited! With spring comes lighter colorful recipes – a nice change of pace from the cozier winter recipes.
Today’s salad really reflects spring, but what I love is that it’s still filling and highly crave-able. I’ve been wanting to create a colorful spring salad for weeks, but I didn’t have any ideas I loved or that felt special enough.
When I create salad recipes I want them to be really full of flavor, texture, and color. Nothing boring!!
This sweet potato kale salad is all of those things. The sweet potatoes and crispy chickpeas really add a layer of warmth. While the fresh kale adds that pop of crunch we all want in a great salad.
This salad is so much about the sweet potatoes. They’re the body of the salad…and my favorite element (aside from the dressing, which is a major highlight for me too). The potatoes roast with a mix of our favorite spices, chipotle chili powder, paprika, onion powder, cumin, and then salt. Nothing fancy, but truly a wonderful mix.
To the potatoes, I love to add nutty sesame seeds and chickpeas. I love the flavor of the sesame with the potatoes and then the chickpeas add a nice vegetarian protein.
Both the potatoes and chickpeas are roasted together on the same sheet pan to keep things low-key and easy.
While the potatoes are cooking, I work on the remaining layers of the salad.
I used lots of fresh Tuscan kale, but you can use any mix of salad greens you love most. It really doesn’t matter. Then, I add a handful of fresh herbs, my favorite mix is basil, dill, and cilantro. But again, use what you love.
I like to toss in some cucumbers or you could do carrots too.
While I love the potatoes, I love the dressing just as much. It’s creamy, a little sweet, and the dijon adds a nice tang. It pairs so wonderfully with the spicy flavors on the potatoes.
My secret is to use a bit of tahini in the dressing in place of heavier mayo. It’s a healthier option that really does taste better!
The next key is tossing the greens with a bit of the dressing to really coat the greens. Then add the potatoes, chickpeas, cheese, and avocado!
Serve while the potatoes are warm or at room temperature, either is delicious. The chickpeas add an amazing crunch while the dressing and avocado add creaminess.
So much happening for a simple-to-prepare salad. It’s fun to make, exciting to eat, and tastes even better!
Looking forward make this over and over throughout the spring and summer!
Looking for other colorful salads? Here are some options:
Lastly, if you make this Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing
Calories Per Serving: 447 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into match sticks
- 1 cans chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 5-6 cups shredded kale
- 1 cup mixed herbs: basil, dill, parsley
- 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat oven to 425° F.2. On a baking sheet, combine the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, olive oil, sesame seeds, chili powder, paprika, onion powded, cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss well to coat. Bake 20 minutes, toss everything, then bake another 20 minutes, until the chickpeas are crisp and the sweet potatoes tender.3. Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, combine the kale, herbs, and cucumbers. 4. To make the dressing. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar, whisking until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a few tablespoons over the kale and massage the dressing into the greens. 5. Toss the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas in with the salad. Add more dressing and toss to combine. Top the salad with avocado and feta. Enjoy!